Hello members and friends:
It feels like spring, even if our rowing is limited to weekends. We’ve got a bunch of things going on at the boathouse, so here’s a rundown of items coming up soon. At the bottom of this post, see our Annual Meeting highlights.
1. Membership Coordinator/Class Registrar. The club is offering a stipend for this position in 2015. It will combine the duties of two jobs and focus on the transition between classes and membership. The registrar portion of the job requires extensive email contact with the public. Two candidates stepped up at the annual meeting, but we are happy to hear from other interested members. Contact Peter.
2. Portland Fall Classic. Penny and Peter have worked with Rose City Rowing Club to make this race a staple of the NW head race season. They need help. We would like to build a small committee of committed members who can support them and maintain the attention to detail that we are known for. See Peter for more information.
3. February equipment work sessions. Join us on Thursday evenings from 7-9 this month as we tackle oar painting and other maintenance work.
4. Tough Love Erg Race–Sunday Feb. 15 at the U of P. You can use the old entry form at http://www.newworldrowing.org/toughlovedetails.htm
Men, contact Scott if you plan to race. Women, let Kris know. We may be able to package all of our entries to save time, trouble and money.
5. Tough Love reduced price ergs. Sometimes they have new ergs to sell after the race for a substantial discount ($850 v $1000). Peter can put you in touch with the organizers.
6. Ski outing–we might try in early March if it ever snows again.
7. Thanks to Walter List for his work refinishing the Boston Whaler. Look for this historic craft to cruise again soon.
8. Spring work party Feb 28, 9-noon. Also the last day to pay dues on time!
9. Class registration will open in mid-February.
2015 Annual Meeting highlights–
Thanks to outgoing Board members Tamara Madsen, Cheryl Elardo and Sheila Ryan for their years of service to the club. Paul Kisling will serve this year as Chair, with Celia Heron continuing as Treasurer. Barb Berg and Kim Degutis are also continuing their Board service in 2015.
Congrats to new Board members Darrell Fuhriman, Glen Baker and Brian Thurston.
Treasurer Report–Peter gave a financial update for the club–a balanced budget is forecast, along with a 5% contingency fund. Membership levels are forecast to be the same, so any membership growth will be a plus for the club.
Brad, Travis and Peter all gave reports about their programs and Peter outlined where he sees the club in terms of its mission and business plan. For more information, contact any Board member.
Big winners in the raffle were Brian Thurston(free regionals entry fees), Darrell and George for private coaching lessons, free coxing dots for Andrew, Juanita, Kathy F, and Miel. Thanks everyone for a successful raffle.