Our adult Learn to Row classes are for beginners with no experience in a rowing shell, or for sweep rowers with no experience sculling. Youth 18 years of age or under should check out Rose City Rowing Club.
Classes emphasize safety, rowing technique and individual fitness. Special equipment is not required -– just bring typical workout clothes. Class members learn to row in single person pontoon singles. Our classes are 2 hours long and will have class size of 4-6 students.
There is no distinction between Level 1 and Level 2 at this time — every session of Learn to Row is the same. With smaller, focused classes, we will be able to teach everyone at their own pace, so we don’t anticipate any difficulties in combining those with some experience in sweep boats with beginners. Graduates of the Learn to Row sculling class are eligible to join the club and continue to build their skills in the supportive environment of our beginner group.
All participants in Station L Learn to Row classes must become “Basic” members of the US Rowing Association ($9.75/year) and complete a declaration of swimming ability. Instructions for purchasing the Basic USRowing membership and completing the swimming ability declaration can be found here.
Class Preparation Checklist
- Before the first day of class: all participants need to be a Basic member of US Rowing and fill out a Swimming Ability Waiver. See this page for details.
- Our boat yard and dock are located at 315 SE Ivon St, Portland, OR 97214
- There is generally plenty of on-street parking in the surrounding neighborhood. It is advised that you do not leave any valuables in your car. There is no space in the boatyard to keep personal items locked away and dry, so only bring what you need
- Everyone in the boat yard must wear a mask at all times and maintain 6’ of distance between themselves and others. Once you are out on the water, you can remove your mask and put it back on before you dock
- You do not need to bring any special equipment. Wear regular workout clothes, layer up for the weather, and bring a water bottle if desired.
- Rowers must assist and perform any equipment cleaning tasks as directed by the coaching staff
We recognize that people have many demands on their time and that not all students will be able to attend all classes within a course session. If you cannot attend all classes, talk with your instructor so they can give you pointers on how to catch up. There is no way to “make up” missed sessions, but if you only miss a class or two you should be fine. Classes must occasionally be canceled due to weather, water conditions or other circumstances. If for some reason we must cancel a class, we will offer the option of a make up class after the session or a partial refund for that class.
Station L class sizes are balanced carefully to ensure an appropriate number of participants in each session. If you cancel your registration 5 or more days before class begins you will receive a full refund, after which time you can receive a credit if we can fill your spot before the class starts. After the first class meeting, no refunds or credits are available.
If the class you wish to take is full, you can add yourself to the waiting list here to be notified if any openings become available.
Special COVID-19 Guidelines
Class will be conducted in an outdoor setting allowing more than 6′ of distance at all times. Class sizes are limited to a smaller size to allow for more generous spacing. Participants must bring a mask to wear as needed. Participants must assist and perform any equipment cleaning tasks as directed by the coaching staff.
How to Book
We run classes April through September, progressively adding classes through the summer. The current available class schedule is as follows. Add yourself to the wait list to be notified about future classes.
June 7 – July 1
July 6 – August 2 (No class July 5th)
To book, click on one of the class dates on the calendar. All class times will be listed below in “Selected Events”.
Confirm that these are your desired dates and click “Book”. The class will now be in your cart.