Note: Station L classes are for adults only. Youth (18 years of age or under) should check out Rose City Rowing Club which also rows on the Willamette River and has learn to row classes throughout the year.
Our adult Learn to Row classes are for beginner rowers with no experience, or with no experience sculling. Classes emphasize safety, rowing technique and individual fitness. Special equipment is not required -– just bring typical workout clothes. Class members learn to row in single person pontoon singles. Our classes are 2 hours long and will have class size of 4-6 students.
For those who have previously taken our Level 1 Learn to Row class: since everyone is completely new to sculling, there is currently no distinction between levels. With smaller, focused classes, we will be able to teach everyone at their own pace, so we don’t anticipate any difficulties in combining those with some experience in sweep boats with beginners.
All participants in Station L Learn to Row classes must become “Basic” members of the US Rowing Association ($9.75/year) and complete a declaration of swimming ability. Instructions for purchasing the Basic USRowing membership and completing the swimming ability declaration can be found here.
Class Preparation Checklist:
- Before the first day of class: all participants need to be a Basic member of US Rowing and fill out a Swimming Ability Waiver. See this page for details.
- Our boat yard and dock are located at 315 SE Ivon St, Portland, OR 97214
- There is generally plenty of on-street parking in the surrounding neighborhood. It is advised that you do not leave any valuables in your car. There is no space in the boatyard to keep personal items locked away and dry, so only bring what you need
- Everyone in the boat yard must wear a mask at all times and maintain 6’ of distance between themselves and others. Once you are out on the water, you can remove your mask and put it back on before you dock
- Rowers must assist and perform any equipment cleaning tasks as directed by the coaching staff
On absences: We recognize that people have many demands on their time and that not all students will be able to attend all classes within a course session. If you cannot attend all classes, talk with your instructor so they can give you pointers on how to catch up. There is no way to “make up” missed sessions, but if you only miss a class or two you should be fine. Classes must occasionally be canceled due to weather, water conditions or other circumstances. If for some reason we must cancel a class, we will offer the option of a make up class after the session or a partial refund for that class.
Refund Policy: Station L class sizes are balanced carefully to ensure an appropriate number of participants in each session. If you cancel your registration 5 or more days before class begins, you will receive a full refund. If you cancel 4 or fewer days before class begins, you will receive a full refund if we can replace you with someone from our wait list. If not, you will be given credit for a future class. After the first class meeting, no refunds or credits are available.
Wait List: If the class you wish to take is full, you can sign up for the wait list here.
If you have questions that are not answered here, please contact the [ppf_link id=”learn_to_row_query” text=”Class Registrar”].